Welcome

Welcome to my ongoing journal of my journey with God!

Friday, November 26, 2010

The Timing of a Solid Foundation

It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. (Luk 6:48)
My parents divorced when I was around seven, which left my mother to go-it-alone with six children. She somehow instilled in me the traits of being a kind, honest, and a loving person. There was rarely if ever any mention of God in her subtle discipline. As far as church, I would get myself to Catholic Sunday school (CCD), and that only lasted as long as I decided to go…which wasn’t long.
My father was Catholic and went to church every Sunday. On my visits with him every few weeks, there was never any mention of his faith or God. It was all just fun and games…let the good times roll, so to speak. On his end, there was no discipline because he was the good parent.
With this foundation laid on sandy soil, my faith had plenty of opportunity to move around and lose it’s footing. I had always considered myself spiritual and referred to myself as a Christian. I had that “good person” mentality about me that would hopefully get me through life. But something always seemed to be missing.
Now, married with teenagers, my family finally found a church that spoke to us. We became involved and my faith started to become real and based on truth. I decided to get baptized again (I was baptized as an infant) on Palm Sunday of this year. It was a wonderful day and my rebirth added water to my sandy soil and helped create the solid foundation I have now.
The timing of this was crucial, because God knew I would need solid ground to stand on in the coming months. I know that if I had sandy soil under me when my Angel Girl left this earth, I would have sunk to the depths of sorrow and it would be complete purgatory.
What is your foundation built on?
May God bless you and give you Grace!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome blog today Mike. I feel God using your journey to help bring others closer to Him. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete