Welcome

Welcome to my ongoing journal of my journey with God!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How Do You Define Sin?

For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard. (Rom 3:23)
When I would hear friends, studied Christians or Pastors use the word “sin” and this word was preceded by “we all…”, well, it just rubbed me entirely the wrong way. I took it as a personal attack on ME. I mean, who do they think they are…they don’t know me. This usually resulted in me not hearing what I needed to hear in the remaining conversation or teaching.
Maybe it is the word that I had an issue with. It sounded so criminal and dirty. Like I was evil and headed to hell without any hope. So, I decided to change my definition of sin to that of the last sentence of Rom. 14:23, which I have paraphrased into the first person: If I do anything I be believe is not right, I am sinning. Now, this definition is only as solid as my own moral compass and as with any compass it will swivel and turn until it finds due north.
The scripture at the beginning of this entry is very direct and inclusive in its meaning. Lets take “everyone”; does this include infants that can’t even speak? Well, I would say they are safe as far as the act of sinning, but Adam ignited the curse that we all eventually submit to. As far as everyone else, and by everyone, I mean myself (I don’t want to personally attack anyone), I have chosen what was “not right” more than I care to discuss…so according to my own definition, I’m a sinner. As far as God’s glorious standard, Jesus is the only one that I know of that qualifies in this area. He came and absorbed the sin of man. And, as long as we talk with Him and are genuine about releasing our sins to Him, He will continue to wash them away.
May God bless you and give you Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment