Welcome

Welcome to my ongoing journal of my journey with God!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The Good Samaritain

But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him. (Luke 10:33-34)

Early last year as I was on my commute home from work, and I ran into a bit of a traffic jam. This normal occurrence is just part of the daily grind I experience on my travels in the Houston area; I had become oblivious to my surroundings. As far as stalled vehicles and their possessors…they just added to the inconvenience. On this particular day, I was almost to my final destination, when one of these inconvenient time eaters emerged. As I crawled along the pavement at a lingering pace, the source of the gridlock was revealed. An incapacitated vehicle with its female owner, cell phone in hand, became the answer as to the delay.

As I followed suit and drove on by as the other passers by, I was struck with the notion that I should stop and assist this damsel in distress. But, my time sensitive self, being on the way to nowhere rationalized it as unnecessary; she will work it out somehow I thought to myself. As I got home shortly there after, this act of ignore-ance, weighed on my heart and I needed to some how resolve it. I confessed it to a group of friends hoping that would act as my repentance and left it at that.

A few weeks ago, I ran into the mirror image of this scenario on my way to work. Well, as a good little commuter, I again followed suit and drove on by. Yet, this time God spoke to me, and flashed the previous incident into my thoughts. I immediately turned around to give my assistance. I thought to myself, I’m not a mechanic; hopefully she just needs gas or a simple jump. I approached her as she is now out of her car, and standing on the side of the road. I asked her if she was out of gas. She said, “I’m not sure, it just stalled and the keys are stuck in the ignition.” So, I went to try, and the car miraculously started up with no problem and I pulled it to the side of the road. It was as simple as that.

God was letting me know here that being a Good Samaritan is a simple act that just takes willingness. I know there are other more involved acts of kindness, but this shows me if I follow my heart, and listen to what God is telling me, that being thoughtful and considerate becomes effortless.

May God bless you and give you Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment