Welcome

Welcome to my ongoing journal of my journey with God!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Selfish Ways!

If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

Throughout my journey there have been many times I’ve allowed myself to become focused on self, which threw distance between me, and everyone else. This tunnel vision blinded me and took all opportunity for growth out of the picture. This may have been as trivial as taking the last cookie reserved for another, or as severe as not speaking the truth to save myself from the shame I would endure. No matter how grave the act, the effect it would take on my soul carried the same weight.

This selfish behavior brings isolation to the foreground, and thrusts the love of others to the shadows. The result then has a progressive effect on my relationships and pushes God further away with each occurrence. I know this to be true and realize the further I push God away, the harder He is to reach for. To dismiss these ego driven tendencies would be to shorten this gap, bringing God within my grasp.

As I read and study the Word of God daily, this self-centered attitude has gradually fallen away. I have found myself willingly stepping aside or stepping up without hesitation. I have witnessed the courtesy of others more often than I have in the past. More vital than anything, my strengthened relationship with God has me looking to His Spirit residing within me rather than grasping for Him at arms length.

I pray that my unselfish ways continue to grow, and as opportunities arise to breakthrough the layers of ego driven tendencies, I have the courage to push them aside to make way for a selfless spirit.

May God bless you and give you Grace!

No comments:

Post a Comment