Welcome

Welcome to my ongoing journal of my journey with God!

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Do You Love God?

You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.” (Matt 22:37)

This is a continuation of my December 12th entry of “The Simplicity of the Gospel”. After some reflection, I felt I needed to give deeper attention to the Love I show in relation to and toward God. When I stated “simplicity”, I was referring to concentrating on these two all-important commandments – To love God with all your heart…and, Love your neighbor as yourself. By living in these two states, everything else will fall into place, and I know this to be true.

When writing this, it prompted me to look at my Love for God. I say that I Love God by the words I use, but how do I express my Love for the creator of all? I could say it is the respect and kindness I show towards family, friends and strangers I encounter through my day-to-day journey. Yet, that tends to cover the Love your neighbor as yourself aspect of this scripture.

So what does “Love the Lord God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind” look and feel like? I can’t hug God and show him physical comfort. I can talk with Him and share my worries, joys and blessings…but is that loving God? I am not sure. I do think that it is one way to show my willingness to rely on Him. And, as a father, when my children share with me in this way, I feel respected and loved.

I feel this step is essential to initiate my Love for the Almighty. I also feel it is imperative to live in the Word to the best of my ability. I can’t be a saint, but I can reflect and consume His living Word so that it changes me from the inside. This change is then reflected back to God. This reflection is the love for Him that He has planted in my heart. It defines the respect and awe I have for him in my efforts to please Him.

I do Love the Lord God with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

May God bless you and give you Grace! 

2 comments:

  1. Some may say you already are a saint Michael Cartwright. The New Testament definition of a saint, i.e. the meaning of the Greek word hagios many "translate" as "saint" or "holy". God has separated a number of "holy" people from this world, for Himself and for His son Jesus.

    I say that if your heart is truly the source of your words on this website (and I cannot believe it is not so), then a saint (holy) you are and as such stand with others such as yourself also called. However stay as humble as you appear. Considering one's self a "saint" or "holy" is scriptually incorrect and it can drive your wife crazy (believe me, I know ;). Seriously we should not surrender our egos to the edification that brothers and sisters give us in faith. The 1st time a brother assured me I was upright and righteous before God, I wept and fell face down recommitting myself to Him, praying that as undeserving as I may be, I might be offered such mercy as this thru the blood of Christ. Does that make any sense?
    Peace and grace to you and yours brother.
    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh, and I am really ecouraged by your "journal". These are good teachings, all that I have read so far. I am honored to have been brought here by the RP prayer team.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete